chTinySizer: the modular multicore 8Bit Synthesizer

creating sound with microcontrollers

chTinySizer: the modular multicore 8Bit Synthesizer

Postby chris on Sun May 25, 2008 7:39 am

Here I will answer the questions to my 8 bit modular synthesizer project for arduino.
Attachments
chTinySizerBoard_62KB.jpg
modular 8 Bit Synthesizer for arduino
chTinySizerBoard_62KB.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 17840 times
chris

Re: chTinySizer: the modular multicore 8Bit Synthesizer

Postby kuk on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:44 pm

:o
is there video yet? or some sound files? or another project page? anything ???

//kuk
kuk

Postby chris on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:37 am

Up to now I was a little bit lazy documenting the project. But probably I can answer your quesitons, if you want to know something specific.
chris

Postby kuk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:46 pm

chris wrote:Up to now I was a little bit lazy documenting the project. But probably I can answer your quesitons, if you want to know something specific.

of course i'd like to know how it sounds. but i know about the lazyness documenting something that's not yet what it's supposed to be.
Maybe you can just give me a hint what the seperate Tinys do and i can imagining something. I guess the 168 glues them together. is it part of the "shield" or is that the "arduino"?

best,
kuk
kuk

Postby chris on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:30 pm

The chTinySizer contains 4 analog programmable tone generators and one effect processor.

The different tone generators of the chTinySizer can be connected by wires manually. Also it is possible to connect the inputs and outputs to additional electronic components to influence the sound.

The idea behind the chTinySizer was to create sound by a mixture of programming and manual wiring. In some electronic workshops for artists I realized that programming often slows down creativity.
For creativity manual wiring is much better than programming therefore the chTinySizer offers both.

The tone generators are only 8 Bit so the sound is a little limited. But I made a workshop and some artists created realy astonishing stereo sounds controlled by the PC.
chris

Postby loydmilligan on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:32 pm

Would it be possible to get the code and a rough idea how it is hooked up? IS this a shield for the arduino or a stand alone project?
loydmilligan

Postby chris on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:56 am

Hello loydmilligan,

the shield is stand alone and is not. It depends on how you want to use it.
The sound generators kann be used without the arduino main board, but of course than it is only possible to produce produce some synthesizer sound without melody.
You can use the arduino as value to volage converter connected to the PC. With this voltages the chTinysizer is controlled. The effect of the control voltages depend on the wiring of the chTinySizer which may vary like on every modular synthesizer.
Soon I will offer the Tone Generators and the basis PCB in an Online Shop.

Best regards,
chris
chris

Postby loydmilligan on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Hello

I was wondering if you had made any progress on this? It looks cool and I would like to build and hopefully use this thing.

thanks
-matt
loydmilligan

Postby chris on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:02 am

like to build and hopefully use this thing.

That's fine! You can find that thing here.
Additionaly to the chTinySizer the Arduion Decimila Board ist needed. It's quite easy to use. Do you have some experiences with the Arduion?

best regards,
chris

Unfortunately I didn't translate to English for now. If you have questions don't hessitate to ask.
chris

Postby loydmilligan on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:49 pm

That is really cool, I jsut saw the board available, I will buy one shortly. It look like the cost for the pcb is 30 euros - is that correct? Do you accept paypal? I was wondering if you have a Bill of Materials for the board. Also do you have a file with the source code for the arduino and the atinys? I have a MIDI shield that I am going to try and add on top of this shield. do you have some sound samples of this board?

thanks
loydmilligan

Next

Return to sound