[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
forum.hobby-roboter.de • View topic - quesitons and answers: Atmega8Sid Emulator

quesitons and answers: Atmega8Sid Emulator

creating sound with microcontrollers

quesitons and answers: Atmega8Sid Emulator

Postby chris on Sun May 25, 2008 7:34 am

If you have some questions relating the sound generation by the Atmega8Sid Emulator, place it here.

you will find the source code for the project.

Last edited by chris on Thu May 07, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris

Re: quesitons and answers: Atmega8Sid Emulator

Postby kuk on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:41 pm

[i'll do it in english]
hi chris,

i tried to conatct you via the atmega SID thread over at www.mikrocontroller.net...But this here is even better.
My question there was, whether you think it would be possible to stuff your SID-Emu-Code into an arduino Library. I have the Emulator working as n Arduino "shield" for a month now and it's great. Still, it feels a little odd that it always needs a controller board (as long as i don't touch your original code, which unfortunately does not compile using the Arduino IDE. i tried a few things, but always got stuck at some point).

i was working on such a synth Library, but your SID approch seems much superiour to my timers chaos. Full SID-Emulator hin_oder_her :-) the 3 channels with individual ADSR and different waveforms is really something people would dig on their arduinos. Is there a technical reason this can't be done? I clearly understand that the code runs best on a dedicated atmega, but hard-coding some voices and reading a pushbutton should be possible. Personally i wanted to midi-fy this thing to be able to use it with here.

Seeing you're are probably busy working on the chTinySizer now (which BTW looks verrry interesting), i would give it a more serious try if you're saying it could be done. Is there some general info on the timer usage and PWM calculations for the waveforms? I'd be satisfied with only 2 channels if that made a difference.

It's really a great work. Thank you.

All the best from berlin,
kuk
kuk

Postby chris on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:53 am

Last edited by chris on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
chris

Postby kuk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:32 pm

Hej chris,
thanks for answering. i totally understand your reasons for making this a seperate board. And compatibility to the SID makes the project even more impressive. I'll see.. i had a good reading on AVR Timers and analog stuff yesterday. Maybe i can get to understand the principles better and create something like a Lite version as an Arduino Lib. It's just that this is the first Atmega8/168 based synthesizer i've met with not only great sound but totally universal interface (the registers). I didn't recognize the real advantage of your SID compatibilty at first (Sid Dumps). No nostalgia here, i just recently bought my first C64 on a flea market to rip the SID out (thank you i don't have to). Not because i loved the sound so much, but just because i thought it would be "the cheapest" solution to build an electronic synth around an Arduino.

BTW i do encounter some strange "sudden restart" problems with the SID shield from time to time. I'm not yet sure if this is just a power problem (i added some caps). Could it be that i'm sending data too often or something like that? Why did you chose 9600 as the baud rate? is this necessary?

kuk
kuk

PS: Re: quesitons and answers: Atmega8Sid Emulator

Postby kuk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Another thought :-)

even if the code is better run on a seperate system, a main advantage of an Arduino version would be that many more people could actually just try this thing out. (you do need a programming tool, or am i missing something?) I got the opinion that the "un"compatibilty just comes from the Arduino software adding its own headers instead of recognizing yours. Maybe one can hack te arduino IDE to upload just the HEX, but i didn't try that.
kuk

Postby chris on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:20 pm

chris

Postby leblebitozu on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi,

How can I import stock SID files to Atmega8SID, Can I put SID songs together an atmel dataflash and play from it directly ?

Thank you for advice.
leblebitozu

Postby chris on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:35 am

chris

Postby Telekatz on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi,

how do you convert the sidfile to a registerlist?

Telekatz
Telekatz

Postby chris on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:47 pm

For some Sid Files it is possible with this program:

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachme ... ractor.zip

But only for about 40% of the sid files.
chris

Next

Return to sound